Saturday, September 3, 2011

Running through Dorion

Running through Dorion by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details


  • Weather: High of 21 Celsius (69.8 Fahrenheit) Little cooler than yesterday
  • Distance for today: 40.16kl (24.95 miles)
  • Total Distance to Date: 4574.72 kl (2850.73 miles)

Last night I could not sleep. At about 12:00am I started to sweat and shake. I felt like crying and got very emotional. I thought the run was going to end and I was going to wind up not finishing. I was having an anxiety attack. I have had anxiety attacks before. I developed an anxiety disorder after my head injury. 

I take medication for it and for the most part I have it under control. Last night caught me off guard. I have not been sleeping well lately. I mean I never really sleep very well, it's one of the reasons I do so much physical work. It tires me out physically. However I can't seem to turn of my head. Last night my brain was on overdrive down a very a scary highway in the dark with no headlights on. 

I woke up feeling mentally exhausted and physically exhausted. I heard Melissa fighting with her alarm. She has the most annoying music she listens to wake up to. (sorry Melissa) I can here just enough of it to get the beat, however I can't make out the words. Then it sticks in my head while she fights with the snooze button. Then just as I drift back into that deep sleep.....it goes off again. Usually followed by Melissa "Get up". 

Now let's be clear I am trashing Melissa. I am just not a good waker uper. Never have been. At home I have a alarm that plays the sounds of birds in a very slow incremental volume. It also has mimics the sun light so you wake up a little more, naturally. It does not play annoying ring tones, it does not say "get up" 

We started a little late today but headed out. It looked like it was going to rain all day, and I kept expecting to loose cell reception however this did not happen. So I was able to keep listening to my CBC radio and threw on some songs from my I Tunes collection near the end. 


My internet connection is really slow, and I have been sitting in this restaurant for about 30 minutes watching just one picture upload. It's not even at %30 yet. So I will upload some pictures of today tomorrow. If I remember. 


There was a father named Dave (how could I forget that) and his son that made a donation today. There was a car that pulled upside me when I was running and also passed me some cash. That was very cool. I like getting a chance to talk to people and raise as much awareness as I can. It is what the run is all about. 


Oh I got chased by a Pit bull and Melissa was ready to protect me. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi David:

    I just fond your blog. I am a stroke survivor myself. I used to be a recreational athlete - actually still am but differently. My stroke severely affected my motor planning area on my left side. I initially was unable to walk or even sit up. I have progressed to the point where I am now trying to run. I can do it but it looks pretty lumpy. I'm trying to get back into the routine of regular exercise. I will be following your blog and would love to run/ride with you when you get to the lower mainland.

    ReplyDelete