Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Running through Brandon with Sean Deleau

Running through Brandon with Sean Deleau by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details



  • Weather: High of 25 F (77) Windy. 
  • Distance for today: 40.80 km (25.31 mi)
  • Total Distance to Date: 5560 kl (3465.03miles)
  • Song of the Day: Chatting with Sean\

Today I got to run with Sean. Sean was in a car accident a few years ago and also has a brain injury. 

It was interesting because as unique as each brain injury is, there are some similarity's. We each had some damage to our temporal lobe's. We each face some of the same cognitive difficulties. Math makes sense now to both of us (one of the weirdest things about my brain injury in fact). Muscle memory is pretty much ok, however we both suffer from short term memory loss. 


Sean and Mom. 

Sean

And were off. 

I am my normal chatty self. Sean was also sharing his story with me. 

Some of the street's we ran through. 

We finish off about 10kl of the morning. 

Sean and Mom (I am so sorry for the pose I took) 

I was off again. 

Sean also talks to people about his injury. He is a very remarkable guy. He went into carpentry school and has even fixed up his own house. He keep active biking and running and building things for his friends and family. He hopes to become a Journey Man Carpenter. 

What I really liked about Sean was the attitude. We both understand life is challenging and is a little harder now. Yet what's the point in being down about it? Why not test your limits and live up to whatever this new "us" is. 

Sean felt that he had been given a second chance at life. I totally get this. We had a mental reset. We got to be the authors of our "new" self's. I get the freedom that having short term memory loss gives me. I can't hold on to shit to long. That and it takes so much mental energy. 

I had a great run with a great guy, who has a great family. It was very inspiring for me to see someone go through so much, to continue to go through so much, yet keep on truckin. 

He told me his favourite song and I was going to make that the song of the day. However I forgot it. So Sean email me your song and I will post it on the blog. 

Take care and stay in touch. 


I am done for the day. 








No comments:

Post a Comment