Tuesday, September 27, 2011

North Cypress through Douglas to Cornwallis with the Neepawa Tigers Football Team

North Cypress through Douglas to Cornwallis with the Neepawa Tigers Footbal by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details



  • Weather: High of 27 F (80.6) Windy. 
  • Distance for today: 39.89 km (24.79 mi)
  • Total Distance to Date: 5519.20 kl (3439.72 miles)

 The weather today was fantastic. I mean it was just stunning. The never ending view of the Prairies is amazing. However that was nothing compared to running with the guys from Neepawa Tigers Football Team

You know what will tell this better than I can. This. 



Pretty normal day of running in a stunning province. 

Then we had this. 


The Neepawa Tigers Football Team. 


The team (yes they ran in jeans) 

We owned the road. Well at least this side of the road. 

This is (left to right) Ike, Dennis, Me, Josh) 
They have a brother who has a brain injury and Dad Dennis and Mom Jodi put together today's team to join me. (Dennis and Jodi, if I got this wrong please let me know and I will change it. I hurt my head and sometimes I get things wrong ;')) 

I don't know how else to explain the feeling when I am around survivors, or family or care takers of survivors  There is an unsaid understanding. The resilience and the fortitude is palpable. You can feel there energy. It's an unspoken understanding and acceptance.

It's like meeting those really good friends you for some reason grew apart from. Yet when you meet up it takes only a second to reconnect. That is the closes analogy I can put it to. 

I can only imagine what it must be like to have children and a direct experience of brain injury and still let them, well, be kids.

I am so reluctant to do things that will put my head at risk now. I have no idea how I could handle having kids and let them have the life they deserve to have, without my own fears overriding it. I will just make them wear helmets all the time. Or live in a bubble. I am down with the bubble. Will have to talk to my wife about this. 

I was then back to running. and it was another day of running. However the rest of the run just could not compare to the brief time I had with the guys. 

Thanks Guys. You absolutely rock!! 

Today was one of the day's I love. Getting some the people who have so much ahead of them get the take home message to protect there head. Made my day. 

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! Still cheering you on David!
    (Linda from Switzerland)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH David! How this posting made me cry to see you, my family and my "football guys"! I am so proud of you all! They ARE an awesome bunch! Thank you so much for letting us be part of your journey! Stay safe my friend and we will make a trip out west to see you one day!
    ANd BTW... you got it right, my survivors are My dad, hubby and son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda!! How is Switzerland this time of year?

    Jodi, it was truly a pleasure. Great group of guys and it was the highlight of my day.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete