Monday, October 3, 2011

Past through Whitewood, Broadview and stopped just before Grenfell

Past through Whitewood, Broadview and stopped just before Grenfell by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details


  • Weather: 7 C to start High of 20 (44.6 F to 68 F) 
  • Distance for today: 41.81 km (25.97 mi)
  • Total Distance to Date: 5760.19 kl (3589.42 miles)

Today was a great day for a run. I felt good and moved quick. New shoes, a good nights sleep and some food in my belly. I was off. 

Just a long flat peace of road. 


I was listening to the news online today and I came across this article on the Globe and Mail. It's all about a new concussion testing program. It's about getting a base line pre-season so that when they have a head hit there is some data to test against to see if there has been any trauma. 


While I applaud this step and it shows there is a growing concern about concussion it still does not provide a true test of damage to the brain. However it is better than nothing. I am not going to debate the quality of the test, or that why are hits on kids playing hockey even allowed. I am just glad that concussions are starting to be understood as to what they are. A brain injury. 


The rules around concussions are old, the science does not back these old standards up, and they usually require the person that has received the brain damage, sorry concussion, to advice weather or not they are hurt. 


Let's play that part out. You are a 15 year old hockey player. You coach has you out on the ice and you take a blow to the head. Your dizzy, a little "punch drunk", and then everyone is looking at you. During the ringing in your ears someone asks you "you good"?


"yeah" 


"Get your ass up then" 


I am glad this kind of testing of concussions is gone. I am glad there is a movement to start to test brain injuries. It's funny because the people that usually want you back in "game mode" are not the ones playing the game. 


I also understand that Crosby is still out. I have to give this credit. There must be allot of pressure to get him on the ice. Not only his own as a premier athlete, but also those that make money off the fact that he is who he is. So my hat's off to him for realizing that his hockey carrier does not last forever and that he will need a brain when he is done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment