Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A slip and a fall. by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details

A slip and a fall. by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details


  • Weather: High of 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit) Cloudy and there is a storm brewing


  • Distance for today: 21.34 kl (13.26 miles) Run data is off. I forgot to restart the Garmin and ran closer to 24kl or 15 Miles. 

  • Total Distance to Date: 3622.09km (2285.44 miles)


  • Song of the Day: Some more CBC Radio One. 



  • Today was just another running day. I saw the big street sign saying "Sudbury" and as we take pictures as we do at many of these signs, I attempted to get off the highway and run down the slope to the sign for a photo opp. However I slipped. 

    I caught myself, but I have a minor "flesh wound" on my hand, but I, well landed on my ass. I went down pretty hard and because I am in the endorphin high of running. I did not feel the pain right away. There was a definite thunk when I went down. My left hip took the brunt of my weight. 


    I did some stretches and iced at rest time; however it became hard to run. I started to have a panic attack. "What if I can't run, I need to make up distance, I can't miss distances, it's costing so much money to be here, etc." 


    Then I started feeling guilty. So my inner drill sergeant comes out and tells me to suck it up and get on with it. Stop being such a baby about it. The logical side is then stating that I have injured myself. Then I am worried about blogging about falling down. 


    Last couple of nights I have had some pretty bad panic attacks, I do have an anxiety disorder after my accident, and my wife will be leaving soon and she is my rock, my foundation. So I think with the stress of her leaving, the questions about her job security, being alone, feeling like I am failing. I am just having a rough time. 


    I want to share this part of this run with people as it is not always running with Mayors, and meeting cool people. It takes a lot out of everyone on the team and today that fall was enough to push me a little too far. 

    On the upside we did run into some really neat people today. There were a few kids that I saw yesterday who are from Kelowna. They said hi to me yesterday when they were with their grandmother yesterday, but today they were with their grandfather. I didn't recognize them until I tried to give them whistles and the little girl said that I had already given them whistles yesterday! And that my friends is a brain injury! 




    There was also a neat lady who had just come from Costco and has been honking support at me for two days. She stopped today to donate, which was really sweet. And another lady Linda stopped us earlier in our day to chat and donate. She 'ran' with me a little way. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment