Monday, August 15, 2011

A Marathon To Remember with Tom

A Marathon with Tom by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details



  • Weather: High of 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit) Perfect sunny day.
  • Distance for today: 42.33 kl (26.31 miles)
  • Total Distance to Date: 3869.66km (2413.30 miles)
  • Song of the Day:  The mellow voice of Tom!! 





Today was a very special day. It started last night as we drove to Sault St. Marie (pronounced Soo saint marie) so we drove ahead of the last run stop to be in town to meet up with Tom from Communicare Michigan . 


Tom has a been a voice of support on Facebook for me on some of those days when I am just running and running and running and wondering how my further I have to run for. 


Tom and I in our new shirts.





So this morning after our long drive last night we met him and his fantastic family. He blew my mind with some special sports bags that have the Run To Remember and David McGuire written on them. Inside each of the 5 bags were 1 long sleeve winter shirt, 1 Short sleeve summer shirt and a Visor all with "Run to Remember David McGuire" on it. I can't wait to make my wife where them. I will never forget what shirts, hat's and bags are mine ;') 


The bag (Black) and the two shirts and a hat!! 
Tom also showed up with a much needed new pair of shoes. I process information a little slower than most people so my "I am blown away" response is only coming now. Let me tell you I was blown away. 






Tom and the Communicare Michigan made a corporate donation of $1.00 per kilometer at $7230.00. Then to top it off Tom came for a run with me.


And we are off! 

While Tom and I are running. Melissa is on Skype with Kasey and taking pictures of it. 


Running, and Running
Still running 

We enter Sault Ste, Marie
So close to the USA!! 





Almost at Tom's Hotel. However there was still some running to be done. 








During our run I got to know Tom and was very moved. He took up time to come up to Canada, and time off from his scheduled triathlon to run with me. It was a very special day and I will remember Tom and his Family for a long time to come. 
Tom made his great family pose for a picture with us two sweaty old guys. 






























After we finished the run there was not alot of time to rest.




We were off to  the Sault St. Marie City Counsel meeting. I got to meet Mayor Debbie Amaroso and all the other counsel member as well as the Brain Injury Association of Sault St. Marie and the March of Dimes. 






We got to City hall after the run, still a little sweaty and wolfing down our recovery food, to be whisked into a meeting room that had a table of food and fresh drinks. This was all prepared for us. I got to hang out with some of other survivors and care takers and just relax and socialize before being brought into the Chambers. 





I was of the first people to talk and was able to express the need for Brain Injury awareness, prevention and treatment. Then Mayor Amaroso declared it "Run to Remember Day" in Sault St. Marie 

The ladies from the March of Dimes and The Brain Injury Association




I was then outside and chatting with some of the workers from the March of Dimes and then the day was over. 




It was just one of those days that everything just worked out perfect. It was moving, special, memorable and I think it made a difference. I know I was moved and touched. 



It still amazes me that this reaching as far as it is. It is day's like today that reinstate the reason that I am doing this. It's getting people to see how this invisible disability effects so many and runs so deep. Thank you to all of those that made today so special. Please accept my deepest apologies at forgetting your names. Just know that all you have resonate deep to my long term memories and Sault St. Marie will forever be deep in my heart. Thank you all. 






Great kids, and a great day. Thanks Tom. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a great guy and awesome day :) I love all the swag that Tom brought to you. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete