Monday, November 21, 2011

Running to Penticton B.C. Where I did the 2009 Ironman

Running to Penticton B.C. Where I did the 2009 Ironman by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details


  • Weather: Low of -1c High of 1c (30.2 F to 33.8 F) A little cloudy. Pretty strong headwind. 
  • Distance for today: 41.41 km (25.73 mi) 
  • Total Distance to Date: 7357.59 kl (4579.48 mi)

Today was a little windy. However I have had my win training by now. I built a nice base "wind" core strength exercise. 

Okanagon Lake!! 
It was pretty cold this morning. However it was nice to be running after a couple days of not feeling top notch.
Hello Summerland. 

The day went well. I do seem to have some tummy issues near the end of the run. This caused me to jumping in the Motorhome every 10 minutes to use the facilities. 
I'm coming Penticton

I have run to Penticton. Home of Ironman Canada!! 
Yeah!! 

Penticton has a very special place in my heart. When I originaly had my brain surgery and was spending time recovering. I trained for my first Marathon. I ran the Chicago Marathon with my Sister less than a year after leaving the hospital. 



This was a major achievement for me. Not only because I was not only walking and talking but I have achieved something I had never thought I could. Not only did I never think I could run a marathon pre-injury, to do so after my brain injury was a major accomplishment. 


When I got back after the Marathon I taught a couple of running clinics and I started to train for the Vancouver Triathlon. This was an Olympic distance triathlon. The Olympic distance triathlon is 1.5 km swim, 40 km ride, 10 km run (.9 m swim, 24.85 m bike, 6.2 m run). 


I was hooked on the excersice bug. For no other reason than I felt fantastic, I built my confidence and I was able to complete it. It was not even the race day itself. It was the scheduling, the training, and the bragging rights upon completion.


The Ironman was a whole different event. Training alone took about a year. Scheduling was intense. I would work out 4-8 hours a day while working and going to school. The distance of an Ironman is huge.  3.8 km swim, 180 km ride, and a marathon: 42.2 km run (2.36 m swim, 111.8 m bike, 26.2 m run) It was 16 hours of intense physcal excersision. 


When I crossed the finish line. I was on top of the world. I had completed something that I thought was for elite athletes. I was an Ironman. 



I spent 16 hours swimming, biking, and running through Penticton. It was a major accomplishment. I had done something I thought was impossible. This is why Penticton has such a strong place in my heart. It is where I became and Ironman. 

On my trip to Penticton this time. I got to meet city council. 

Thank you Penticton City Council. 

We were also able to meet some of the local Brain Injury Association staff. I have completely forgotten not on the name of the organization but also the name of the staff. I will update this tomorrow because they made a huge effort to be at City Hall for me. 














1 comment: