Wednesday, November 9, 2011

One Eventful Day

One Eventful Day by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details



  • Weather: Low of 0c High of 2c (32F to35.6F) 
  • Distance for today: 33.29 km (20.69 mi) 
  • Total Distance to Date: 7067.01 kl (4400.19 mi)



Today was a well handled disaster. It started as a normal run day. We were towing the CRV in the RV as we usually do. Getting close to Run Start. When there was a very strong smell of gas in the RV.

As a result of my brain injury I usually take a few seconds to ask myself some questions. Am I smelling that? Is that gas? Could it possibly be something else?

The next step is checking if I am the only one that smells it.

"Melissa do you smell gas"?

She was already trying to find a place to pull over.

Then came trying to find someone who can tow the Motorhome. Then finding a place that can diagnose and fix the issue.

Making phone calls. 
Melissa had all of the Brain Trust office on it. While a tow was easy. The hard part was finding a shop to 1) take the motorhome, 2) fix it ASAP. This is our home. We can't really do much without it. We can't afford to spend money on hotels.

Broken down home on wheels. 
The news was not good. The earliest someone could see us was Tuesday. Today was Wedensday. This was not good news.

The driver from Columbia Towing was awesome. He had a suggestion to take the RV to Ford. Since it's a Ford. He then called Ford and within a few minutes we were on our way to Ford.

We drive back down the hill and get to Jacobson Ford of Revelstoke. Where Melisa talked to Walter and explained the situation.

With Melissa confident the RV is in the right hands we head back out to Run start  in the CRV with instructions for Jacobson to call us on Melissa's cell when they find out what's up.

You can see the RV on the right. 
We were very concerned because it's a long weekend coming up and we can't afford to take time off.





I ran about 10kl and got a txt from a very happy Melissa stating that the RV is fixed. 

Just before the txt msg that the RV is fixed. 

It turns out it was a faulty filter or something (I am not a mechanic. I can drive and run like the wind that's about it)



We headed back to the dealership and picked up the RV. With the CRV in tow position we were back on the road. 

Now that we were back on the road and running. There was a truck with a trailer that pulled over. The driver got out and it was a big guy. He was very pleasant and said "I don't want to slow you down" I gave him a hand shake and he said he had a brain injury as well. I was kind of talking and moving at the same time. He turned and walked back to the RV and talked to Melissa. 

Turns out his name is Mike Gouchie. He is singer and gave me one of his albums. He is a country singer and while that is not my style of music. I got to say. Dude can sing. Seriously listen to the Song of the Day!! I was quite impressed and maybe, just maybe can be converted to country if they all sound this good. 

You can also follow him on twitter and Facebook. Just Google his name. 


Leaving Revelstoke!! Thanks for having us. 

Only you can prevent forest fires. 

Big over sized truck get's to go first. 

3 Valley Gap resort. 
We passed this place. It's called 3 Valley Gap It looks really cool. However I do not have the time right now!!





As the day started to get darker and time was moving on. This truck driver pulled over and he made a donation as well. We try to be very respectful of the drivers. I have to say the majority, the vast majority of the drivers are fantastic. This is just one example of the guys that keep out Tomato's and I phones and our Christmas presents rolling. So thank you drivers!! 


2 comments:

  1. I am sure that made you both nervous with the thoughts that the RV was gonna need work done to it !! That is good that it is fixed and you are back on the road. Lets hope that you don't have anymore troubles! Watch for icy spots on the road. It is a good thing I don't have to deal with much traffic here @ night when running b/c I am running over and around a lot of ice!! Best of luck to you both! Sean D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get the rig fixed and you get to stay on schedule. This journey is teaching me about human stamina! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete