Friday, July 29, 2011

Today Part 1: A Special Visit with BISH

Without the RV this morning the CRV was packed full of all our overnight stuff and my run stuff from yesterday. It was pretty packed, and then we drove into Hamilton to pick up two huge boxed filled with whistles and t-shirts. We're spending the day in Hamilton meeting all kinds of people so no run today. 


We got such a warm welcome from the people at the Brain Injury Society of Hamilton (BISH). They organized a meet and greet with me as a special guest speaker. There was also free food so we know what the real draw was for the crowd. 



Melissa introducing me to the crowd.


Travis Bailey and Craig. 
Travis pushed himself to run greater and greater distances throughout his rehabilitation after being shot with a 12-gage shot gun, and then sustained another injury from a fall that re-paralyzed himself from the waist down. Now  Travis is a runner and I'm rooting for him to get on the Canadian Paralympics Team. Google Travis and cheer him on! Craig had his brain injury since 1976 after being hit by a bus, and he recited a poem he wrote called "The Smile". You can check out his poems on poems.com

Amanda and Linda, I know you both don't like to be photographed but I needed to send out a special thanks for organizing such a great event. Thank you!

Billy and Brian having a chat with me. 

Billy's story really touched Mandy and I because he and his longtime girlfriend married after his brain injury was sustained. There have not been too many of those stories, in fact the statistics always say that brain injury breaks families up because brain injury changes people's personalities, not to mention the other challenges that arise  as a result of the brain injury. So it was really special to hear Billy's story and to hear that he is still happily married, but also that he was open and honest enough to admit there are ups and downs. He also has  a daughter so that was another inspiration. Thanks for sharing with us today Billy!

Ronald had a stroke when he was in grade school. He's struggled but made himself into a productive and contributing member of society. He is another runner as well who has done several races. It was day filled with runners at BISH. 

I think one of the best parts of this journey is meeting the amazing people through the brain injury societies and associations. To hear these amazing people tell me that I'm inspiring is crazy, because their stories are to amazing and they inspire me to continue putting my left foot then my right foot down on the pavement every day. Thanks so much to BISH for the warm welcome, and for sharing your amazing stories with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment