Sunday, July 24, 2011

Running Down Queen St.

Running Down Queen St. by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details


  • Weather today: 24 Celsius (75.2 Fahrenheit) Humidity 54% (at it's highest)
  • Today’s run distance: 19.24 km (11.95 miles)
  • Run distance to day: 3153.61 km (1964.14 miles)
  • Song of the day: I didn't have a song today 


Well the days have not stopped in their overwhelmingness!!

Melissa and I headed out to run start while Mandy stayed back to get her Kya on!!

I ran for 19.24 kl and stopped at my sister's place to rest and get ready for a big family dinner. I fell asleep on the couch and was woken up a little bit later on by Mandy txt'ing me. Melissa had cleaned the motor home and everyone else had been busy while I napped.

We then headed out to my cousin's house for some good old family home cooking. This was also very special to me because it has been along time since I have had some time to just sit and chill with my family. 


I am so lucky to have such a great family. Adam and Sue, Harry and Nancy, Andrew and Ethan, Alex, Kya and Kathy. 



Tiko (a very MUSCULAR family dog!) 

David, (and Susie) who I met for the first time tonight, is a massage therapist and he had a full massage table all set up for me. I got a full on 2:30 minute massage and man does he know his stuff. It's funny because people use the word "athlete" when they talk about me. I still don't feel like an "athlete" I feel like a guy who is having this amazing experience and doing something truly fun. It's challenging but it doesn't seem "athletic" to me.



So Dave was massaging me and he was explaining that professional athletes understand that to release muscles, or to repair damage, you need to cause a little pain in the massage. This is the opposite of why most people get a massage. They get a massage to release a tense muscle, reduce some pain, or just to relax. Well this is where "athletes" differ. For lack of a better term, "no pain, no gain" when it comes to massaging. Meaning you need to get in deep and hit some sensitive parts to allow them release and recovery. This will allow you to perform later and with less compensation. So if my left hamstring was hurting, and I was putting more pressure on my right hamstring to compensate, now the left hamstring feels better, therefore I no longer have to compensate. Ask any professional athlete (or that crazy friend or family member that runs marathons, trains real hard, or bikes, whatever they do, you know the crazy one that pushes themselves too hard and seems to enjoy pain) how a deep tissue massage makes you hurt so good.


Ethan, my cousin's youngest son, has a such a generous heart. He was scrounging around searching for every penny he had to donate to us. He kept saying he wanted to help. He scoured his home and found $25 (mostly in change!) to donate to us. It was amazing! 

And Alex is a pretty great young man too! He's like 2 or 3 belts away from his black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and he's an amazing cousin to Kya. He's always looking out for her in every way!



After the massage I got treated to family and food. It was a night I didn't want to end. Just one of those times that you wish you could just stay in. Good people, good food, good times. I just realized I am sounding like a really bad song, but it was so true. It was just such a great day.







I am truly so lucky, especially considering how much food they sent me home with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment