Thursday, July 21, 2011

Oshawa through Ajax, Pickering and beyond.

Oshawa through Ajax, Pickering and beyond by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details

I don't know how to start with today. I guess it started last night. The heat in the motor home was overwhelming. I thought I sweat a lot when I ran. The humidity and the lack of any wind and three people in a motor home...you get the idea. Yesterday I pulled a full marathon distance. I knew the next few days were going to be really busy and I wanted to get in as much distance as I could. I was trying to prepare for days like today. There was no preparing for it.

First was the record setting temperature. It was 37 C (99 F) and the humidix was off the charts. Enviroment Canada put out a heat emergency warning. So it was hot, humid, and very low air quality. I felt like I was breathing inside a stove that was cooking plastic. So I threw on the mask I used when I was training for the Ironman and would spend hours on the road behind the exaust of cars.

As I was running a guy from the "Oshawa This Week" stopped to take some pics and do an interview. 
 

I went back to running and got a little overheated. So I stopped and took a break for about 20 minutes. Then  I started running again. We then headed to Oshawa City Hall and met the Mayor John Henry.

We also met the Executive Director of the Brain Injury Association of Durham, Frank Murphy. We went to his association where I did a small talk and met some of the people there.




All the volunteers, support workers and people with brain injury were amazing! It was like I had returned to a club where I have an exclusive lifetime membership. They get what I'm saying and I get what they're saying, naturally. It was great! 



Tried to beat the midday heat but at around 4pm I headed out again to just cap off my run at a half marathon distance. It's so hot and we're moving in with my sister tonight for 4 nights which means a lot of change that I'll have to deal with: packing, reorganizing, acclimating to the new environment; it's all very tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment