Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Untitled by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details

Untitled by temporallobe at Garmin Connect - Details

Todays run was so windy and cold and zero visibility. Check out some of the video


So last night we were hit by some super weather storm. It was pushing the motorhome around like we were a boat at sea. 

We were up early after a very cold and windy night. We made it out to run start and the visibility was about 20meters. Now that 20 meters for me running is ok, however when you are running on the highway in winds peeking at more than 50 kl an hour, and being passed by big rigs doing 120kl an hour. Well let's just say that if I can't see them coming, they sure can't see me. 

The wind was so strong it was pushing me around. When I lifted one foot up in the air it would blow right into the foot I had in the ground. Then when a big truck went by it would create a vacuum that would suck me into the traffic. So we thought it would be better to stop. I am trying to upload a video but I am a very patchy internet connection. 

After stopping the run after about 6kl. We then went to a school and did another talk with the kids. Once again the school was so awesome. Great staff, great Principle and I got one of the best questions ever from a girl in about grade 5. She asked "do you like the brain you have now, versus the brain you had before"? 

This reminded me of some discussions I have had in the past. The answer is "I don't know". I do more since my injury. I have run a marathon, an Ironman, The Goofy Challenge, I have gotten married and probably done more since my injury than I did before. I am also more aware of others, and more aware of the challenges that all people face. So it's a hard question to ask. 

I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Once I got over the "poor me" stage. You know the "why me, what did I do, I don't deserve this, life is unfair" stuff. I decided to not focus on what I had, and what I have. Instead of what I can't do. What I can do. 

I mean I am running across the country. This is a dream come true. I get to see this incredible country from a very personal point of view and I get to meet all these fantastic people. If this helps one person not have a head injury. I am happy. 

Of course we still need to pay for gas, lodging, food, and all the other stuff. To be honest, this is truly a gift I have been given. It's hard to feel anything buy amazement. 

Thanks Newfoundland. You are amazing. 

Dave

I will update this when I have a better internet connection. I have been trying to upload a video for over an hour and it's time to stretch. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the video, and I 100% agree that the people of Newfoundland and the land mass as a whole is pretty amzing!

    ReplyDelete